Monday, May 21, 2012

Surgery #2

This past week was a rough week at the Weingartz household.  Baby boy had to have surgery to get a new set of tubes as well as to have his adenoids removed.  He woke on Monday the 14th at about 6:15, giving me about 15 minutes to get some clear liquids in him before our cut off time.  I was able to get him to drink a couple ounces of apple juice before 6:30 and I am glad I did as it was a long morning.  We had to report to St Mary's Hospital at 8:30AM for his check in time.  We did not get into the pre-op room until 3 hours later at 11:30!!!  Overall he did pretty good without anything to eat or drink as long as we were able to walk around the hospital, but everytime he said "mama milk" my heart just broke as he did not understand why he could not have any.....  They finally got him back to the OR about 12 and it was the longest 30 minutes of my life.  Once he was settled back into the post-op area, they called us to come back and by the time we got there he was already awake and not very happy.  We spent the next hour dealing with a very upset, anxious little boy who managed to rip his IV our of his left hand :(  They had to give him medication twice to try & calm him down.  Finally once I started getting him dressed and he realized we were leaving he settled down a little bit.  I think he was just really anxious from the anesthesia and the environment.  Luckily he napped for a bit on the way home which I think he really needed.  That night was rough as he was up about every 2 hours but would fall back asleep as soon as I started rocking him.  I was home with him Tuesday where we spent some time cuddling on the couch watching Happy Feet, of course, and napping.  Here he is sleeping on the floor, fell asleep there with his blanket and monkey....



Wednesday he seemed to be turning the corner and was able to eat and drink at dinnertime so we figured he could go to daycare Thursday.  Justin was up & out the door before he was awake, I finished getting myself ready, and at about 6:45 went in to his room to wake him for breakfast.  He stood right up and was happy to see mama, however, I looked behind him and sometime in the night he had thrown up all over his crib :(  Since I had a full day of patients I needed to go to work so I had to call Justin and have him drive back home to stay with Hudson.  Friday I was home again with him and he was doing a lot better so we decided to take a little walk to the park to get some fresh air.  His absolute favorite thing to do is to swing....



We regressed a bit over the weekend refusing to eat or drink much of anything but chocolate milk.  By this time we were desperate to keep him hydrated and to get some calories and protein in him so chocolate milk it was.  Since it was a beautiful weekend we spent a lot of time outside, soaking in some sun and fresh air.  Playing with his car at Nana & Poppa's place, "babye mama"
(we got a haircut on Friday for our upcoming family pictures)

Luckily he is finally feeling better.  Sunday night he was able to eat dinner and drink his juice without a fight, slept for about 10 hours last night and ate a great breakfast this morning.  Hopefully these tubes stay in for a while and we will not need another set once they do fall out.  Until then, we will enjoy the fabulous weather and soak up as much sunshine as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment